Physical History Collection
The library has the following physical materials available in the historical collection:
- Coon Creek Days Parade starting from 2003 (VHS & DVD)
- First Editions of several novels and works of poetry
- Hampshire Register: Various years starting in 1892
- Hampshire Register Newspaper from 1966-1979 & 2002-2008
- Hampshire Telephone Directory starting from 1925
- History of Kane County
- Historical Ella Johnson Library documents
- Maps of Hampshire
- Materials dealing with the formation of Kane County
- Women’s Club Records
- And many other local documents (Just Ask Us!)
Digital History Collection
Search the whole collection by clicking the button!
Search the individual collections below:
Ella’s Historical Collection-Images: Images have been donated to the library as one of the single best methods of documenting the history of the communities within the library’s district. The collection of images reflects aspects of everyday life from the communities of Hampshire, Burlington, Pingree Grove, Stark’s Corner as well as the outlying areas and other communities both past and present.
Ella’s Historical Collection-Assorted Formats: From the time when the area was originally settled in the late 1830’s the district has been an inventive and progressive area. Towns have moved, car races have been organized, Lincoln Logs were produced and life has continued to move forward. The Historical Collection contains artifacts, documents, newspapers, books and pamphlets that chronicle the history of the communities the library serves.
Ella’s Historical Collection-Grand Army of the Republic, Post 453: The Grand Army of the Republic was an organization for Civil War Veterans that ran from 1866 until the death of its last member in 1956. Locally the organization was extremely active and the extensive collection of records left in the care of the library provides a first-hand account of the period and the people that shaped it.
Help Searching the Digital Collections