Physical Historical Collection
Emma Schultz and Emily Duchaj were the two largest collectors of historical materials until the mid 1990s. The collection has seen a growing interest in development and material acquisition/protection since approximately 2005 that is overwhelmingly supported by you, the public. In 2013 Dumoulin Farms very generously donated the new archival cabinets that house the growing collection today. Check the indices below to explore our physical collection.
Historical Collection Index
Boxes & Larger Group Breakdown
Digital History Collection
Some of the physical items in the library’s Historical Collection have been scanned, transcribed and uploaded for 24/7 access in the Illinois Digital Archives. Many of the items in our digital archives however, are items that have been donated digitally and the original item still resides with the family it references. Check the collection periodically as we try to upload materials year-round.
Search the whole collection by clicking the button!
Search the individual collections below:
Ella’s Historical Collection-Images: Images have been donated to the library as one of the single best methods of documenting the history of the communities within the library’s district. The collection of images reflects aspects of everyday life from the communities of Hampshire, Burlington, Pingree Grove, Stark’s Corner as well as the outlying areas and other communities both past and present.
Ella’s Historical Collection-Assorted Formats: From the time when the area was originally settled in the late 1830’s the district has been an inventive and progressive area. Towns have moved, car races have been organized, Lincoln Logs were produced and life has continued to move forward. The Historical Collection contains artifacts, documents, newspapers, books and pamphlets that chronicle the history of the communities the library serves.
Ella’s Historical Collection-Grand Army of the Republic, Post 453: The Grand Army of the Republic was an organization for Civil War Veterans that ran from 1866 until the death of its last member in 1956. Locally the organization was extremely active and the extensive collection of records left in the care of the library provides a first-hand account of the period and the people that shaped it.
Help Searching the Digital Collections